The Ordination
Today Josh and I were able to attend the ordination service of three Syrian Orthodox monks.The story begins last Friday, when we accompanied our friends Jane and Eldon on an excursion to the village of
Seidnaya (see my previous blog entry). After a fabulous meal at their favorite restaurant, we decided to visit the monastery/seminary of St. Ephrem, where Eldon works teaching English to the seminarians.We arrived just in time to catch 4:00 prayers, which were hauntingly beautiful. The liturgy consists primarily of song and chant, and much of it is in the ancient language of Syriac. On our way out, we passed by the Syrian Orthodox Patriarch’s chambers, and he beckoned us to come in. He was very kind and encouraged Josh and I to cont
inue to work for mutual understanding between our countries. He also invited us to t
he ordination today, so we made plans to return with Jane and Eldon in two days’ time.The highlight of today’s service was the singing of the Lord’s Prayer in Syriac. Another interesting item of note is that when the three men became monks, they each received a new name. Each of them also now wears an embroidered black head covering and black cassock to signify their chosen vocation.

One of the great things about St. Ephrem’s is its location. Far removed from Damascus’ smog and bustle, it is in the country overlooking rolling hills which still have snow on them. We thoroughly enjoyed this chance to explore yet another perspective on life in Syria.

2 Comments:
Hey my friend -
Was just reading your blog and thought I would say hello. It is fascinating as always to read your adventures. The citadel in particular looked amazing! I saw a similar-looking thing in the north of Jordan - built on the top of a hill - and actually they said that on a clear day you could see fortresses in Syria and in other directions, and they could actually communicate with each other - using fire (?) I would imagine. In any case it is just fascinating to imagine what it was like way back 1000 years ago. I hope you and Josh are well!
-Katie Lavoie
These pictures are beautiful, and your experiences amazing. I am so glad that you are living it up over there, and do continue to pray that this experience will be one which will richly bless you as you continue to learn and reveal to us all that you are learning!! Bless you!
Love
Katie
Post a Comment
<< Home