Damascus Mosaic

"I am in Damascus. It is a wonderful fact - but I really am." Freya Stark, Letters from Syria

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Public Life In Syria: Part II – Danish Cartoons

As I’m sure many of you have seen in the recent news, there have been widespread protests in response to a number of cartoons published in a Danish newspaper. The 12 caricatures, which depicted the prophet Mohammed from a series of unflatteringly perspectives, were supposedly created as an exercise in free speech.

Since graphic depiction of God or the prophets is forbidden in Islam, the publication of these cartoons was offensive to many Muslim immigrants in Denmark. The offense became an international issue, however, when several European newspapers decided to reprint the cartoons (a newspaper in Norway was among the first of these). The Danish newspaper eventually apologized, but the Danish prime minister refused to do so, saying, "I will never accept that respect for a religious stance leads to the curtailment of criticism, humour and satire in the press.” Many Muslims around the world, deeply offended at what they see as a desecration of their religion and beliefs, have rallied in protest.

On Saturday (February 4th), Syrians gathered to protest in Damascus. The majority of the protesters were peaceful, however, some got out of hand. Police tried to protect the Danish embassy for a time, but their numbers were not enough to hold back the crowd, and eventually some protestors entered the embassy and set it on fire. The inside of the embassy was destroyed by the fire (the walls were cement, and thus were only charred by the smoke – see the included pictures). Unfortunately the embassies of Chile and Sweden were located in the same building, and were also incinerated. Protesters also broke into and burned the Norwegian embassy (in a different area of the city). There have been rumors of other protests planned around the city, but in all likelihood we have come through the worst of it. The protests in Damascus have been echoed in other countries, from North Africa to Indonesia, and have ranged from peaceful (Niger, 50,000 demonstrators) to violent (Afghanistan, 12 people killed to date).

These events bring into focus many questions – what does freedom of speech/the press really mean? Does it mean that we are free to (or ought to) ridicule what is most sacred to our neighbor, as the Danish prime minister suggests? Or does the idea of freedom include responsibility? If so, to whom? Our Syrian friends, both Christian and Muslim, have asked us such questions repeatedly. Many cannot fathom a principle which would prioritize absolute freedom of speech over respect for the sacred and the beliefs of others. In many ways this issue is a manifestation of deeper cultural differences - a communal versus individual orientation to the world.

In terms of personal safety, we are fine. The Syrian people remain among the most hospitable I have ever encountered. A Norwegian classmate of ours was actually at the Norwegian embassy during the protest, and even addressed the crowd on behalf of his country (for the story click here). There has been a general boycott on Danish goods (see the picture), and a very select number of shops have refused to serve Danish patrons (but many Syrians find this kind of behavior terribly offensive).

Thanks to many of you for your kind e-mails of concern. I’m looking forward to hearing any thoughts you might have in the comments section.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Beth and Josh,
We are glad to know you are safe despite the sacking of the two embassies. Your blogs remain fascinating. Now as for the question posed: It's my oopinion that we cannot have absolute freedom and of course and we do not. It occurs to me that deliberately mocking someone else's God in a newspaper cartoon is on a par with painting swastikas on Jewish synagogues. In both instances we are expressing hatred and disrespect of another group's deeply held beliefs. In the United States it is a serious crime under U.S. federal law to paint a swastika on a synagogue. It's not considered a free speech right and no-one, including the newspapers here, protests this law. So I don't see how editors who publish cartoons so offensive to the Muslims can justify their actions.
Love, Grandpa

2:10 PM  
Blogger bronwynian said...

Beth and Josh, Glad to know you are well. Many thanks for your thoughtful observations - we are very lucky to have our own personal reporters in Syria!
What very good questions you pose. I am embarassingly uninformed about these issues, but I will post my brief thoughts anyway.
It seems that if a newspaper wanted to criticize or satirize, they could do so in a way that wasn't flagrantly disrespectful to a religion. Evidently "freedom" has different meanings in different countries, and it might be helpful for everyone to examine the various definitions.
After looking at the cartoons, I wonder how many of the cartoonists have ever met a Muslim, or have ever studied the teachings of Mohammed. I wonder too, if they are confusing government policies with the teachings of a religious prophet (this is where my ignorance comes in...). It is a good reminder to me to react to things more thoughtfully and in a less reactionary way.
Peace,
Bronwyn

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Beth,
Wow, things were getting really stirred up there. We talk about current events every day in world history before we do our lesson, and we have been talking about this. We saw the cartoons today actually.
glad you guys are safe. ~hannah

12:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Beth and Josh,
We are so happy you guys are ok. The issues are complex and madening, but it seems ironic that a people who are offended by cartoons depicting their culture as violent would react with violence. I heard yesterday on the news that many scholars (Muslim American scholars) are seeing this as the breaking point for Muslims globally and that they see fit to use it as a the catalyst for protest. While I see that mocking someone else's god is not only in my view immature but potentially aggravating to existing tensions...I cant help but think that governments in the Muslim world are all too willing to use any opportunity to decry the west and call for Israel's demise. As Christians, where does that put us? I really just don't know.

-Grace

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Beth and Josh,

I'm weighing in for the first time! (finally!;) it was really great to hear your first hand report- and the questions you pose are key- good to hear them from the Muslim perspective. I can only imagine these issues will only get more poignant as the years go on...I wish I knew how to respond! Thanks for sharing with those of us who don't get to be there ourselves!!
love and prayers- jo

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home