Damascus Mosaic

"I am in Damascus. It is a wonderful fact - but I really am." Freya Stark, Letters from Syria

Monday, January 23, 2006

Ra’sa Sana

The New Year was ushered in with loud celebrations and heaps of food, here on Hananias street. Amy, Josh and I spent December 31st with our Syrian host family, who were celebrating both the New Year and our host dad’s birthday. Our host mom cooked for weeks in preparation, and we were among the beneficiaries! We enjoyed spending time with the grandkids and setting off some fireworks in the courtyard; at midnight we escaped to the roof and enjoyed the neighborhood firework display.

One of the New Year specialties enjoyed here in Syria are cakes; in one bakery’s display window we saw a chocolate cake decorated to look like a hamburger with all the toppings. Hmm… appetizing?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home