Damascus Mosaic

"I am in Damascus. It is a wonderful fact - but I really am." Freya Stark, Letters from Syria

Monday, August 29, 2005

Istanbul, not Constantinople

Our Damascus flight was routed via Istanbul (on Turkish Air), so we decided to decompress for a week here before heading on. We arrived at the airport Sunday late afternoon, and had no trouble taking public transportation to our hostel in Sultanahmet, the “historic” section of the city.

Walking through the Grand Bazaar today was quite an experience. The best line – “I need you take a look my shop, see what I have. I have everything except you!” Another good one – “You have money, I need your money. Please come inside!” One shopkeeper adopted us as his American friends, and gave us (what we think was) a decent deal on some trinkets. In exchange of course, for our promise that he could marry my middle sister! When he offered a free place to stay in Istanbul from now on, how could we resist, Amy?

Elma Çay (pronounced chai – in English, apple tea) is a wonderful drink unique to Istanbul. Josh, ever the romantic, points out that it’s very similar to those powered apple cider packets which stores sell in the US, but the small glass & gold cups and sugar lumps they serve it with definitely improve the experience for me. The picture I’m including is of a more standard cup, but you get the idea.

The pension (hostel) where we’re staying has a beautiful roof-top terrace where they serve us breakfast every morning. Josh and I are even starting to like olives.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, can you take a picture of the hostel you are in? I'm curious if it is one of the places I tried to stay in while I was there.

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How fun!!! Sounds like a blast!! I told John about our trip to Istanbul in the Spring... that sounds so grand! It would be so fun to experience Turkey and also see you guys and have you see the babe all in one trip. About when will you be coming back through?? Much love,
Chels

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sweeties!
Mama here. We are in the fast lane which is very wet...1.8" rain last night and still coming. I begin language again tomorrow. Daddy and the Lauers and others are working hard at registering the office...intensive, everyday, all day meetings. Hannah is enjoying school, straight hair and anticipating a "Gatsby Night"... going to the AP English teacher's house to see the video with the classmates. FUN! Hope you guys are getting the rest you need/deserve. Transitions ahead...In God We Entrust you.

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very fun to check in & see what you 2 are up to... hard to imagine you are in an entirely different place now... looking forward to reading about and seeing glimpses of your experiences. love to you.
kara

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home